Concordia University Master of Business Administration Degree
Concordia’s MBA is for individuals seeking a program that is focused on active learning, promotes critical thinking, and is designed to emphasize practice over theory. Learn more about how Concordia’s MBA can get you where you want to go today, and prepare you for opportunities that lie ahead tomorrow.
- Convenient Schedule: Classes meet once every three weeks (on weekends) Coursework is submitted weekly
- Length: Program can be completed in two years or less
- Harvard case-based program: Learn from authentic business situations
- Guest Speakers: Guest speakers include senior level executives who have direct involvement in companies or industries being examined
- Practical: Students learn skills and analytical frameworks that can immediately be applied to the workplace
- Testing: GMAT or GRE are NOT required. Concordia uses the Business Critical Thinking Skills Test
- Concentrations: Include the choice of an internship, thesis, or coursework which can be tailored to your specific career goals
- Health Care Management
- Global Business Management
- Finance (in development)
- Internship or thesis options individually tailored to meet your professional goals (these have included accounting, human resources, entrepreneurship, and others)
Portland Campus – Located in NE Portland
Spring Start (January)
Fall Start (August)
Bend Campus – Located at the Central Oregon Community College Campus
Fall Start (August)
MBA Program Costs
$735 a semester credit
$590 a semester credit (with Alumni Grant-- see below)
$22,420 (with alumni grant)
Concordia University-Portland, Oregon alumni qualify for a special Concordia Alumni Grant equal to 20% off tuition on most graduate programs . This grant applies exclusively to programs offered on campus or online by Concordia University-Portland, including Master in Education, Teaching, Business Administration, and the Doctorate in Education. This grant is available to alumni graduating from any of the 10 Concordia University campuses who attend Concordia University-Portland, Oregon. Call 503-280-8501 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information about the new grant and a list for approved programs. For a list of Concordia University System schools, please visit: http://www.lcms.org/cuscampuses.
Candidates who work in Lutheran schools are also eligible for a grant that is equal to 20% off tuition.
Graduate students are eligible to take out federal student loans to cover the entire cost of the program. To apply for loans, begin by completing and submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.ed.gov. Concordia’s school code for the FAFSA is 003191.
If your company provides tuition assistance our Finance Department will work with you and your company to set up payment options.
Parking on campus is free
Unique features of Concordia's MBA program include:
- Schedule – Meeting as a cohort just once every three weeks allows students more flexibility with their professional and personal schedules.
- Harvard Business School Case Study – In collaboration with the Harvard Business School, the case-based curriculum allows students to learn from real business examples around the world from many well-known and respected companies.
- Analytical Framework & Critical Thinking – Learning the use of analytical frameworks as “tools” enhances students’ skills for considering recommendations and evidence-based decisions.
- Cohort Model – With a classroom of 20-30 other professionals, the cohort model provides opportunities in networking and collaboration that greatly strengthen the MBA experience.
- Concordia Faculty – Professors have excellent academic credentials and extensive business experience in their respective fields.
- Ethics and Leadership – Examples of dynamic and innovative leaders are present in every course. Students and professors examine how seemingly small decisions can have large ramifications and discuss how one can make ethical decisions in gray situations where answers are no longer black and white.
Requirements and Admission Checklist
MBA Admission Criteria
Admission to Concordia's Master of Business Administration program is based on work history, academic ability, and leadership potential. Minimum requirements for MBA program admission include the following:
- A Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better in the student's last 60 semester or 90 quarter credits of undergraduate college coursework
- Professional work experience - five or more years is recommended
MBA Admission Checklist
- Completed MBA Application and $50 Application Fee (Attend an information session or individual appointment and have your $50 fee waived!)
- A letter of intent that presents relevant information about previous experience, explains professional interests and career goals, and discusses reasons for wanting to obtain the MBA degree.
- A résumé that provides a history of professional experience, including both salaried and volunteer positions. Five or more years of professional work experience is recommended.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation.
- Proof of completion of a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a 3.0 GPA or above in the student's last 60 semester or 90 quarter credits of undergraduate college coursework. You may submit the Transcript Release Form to allow Concordia University to request and pay for official transcripts on your behalf.
- Scores from the Business Critical Thinking Skills Test (BCTST) -or- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) -or- Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Please discuss the BCTST option with your admission counselor.
- International applicants should also refer to the International Student Checklist for additional requirements. International applicants are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS), or have ELS Language Centers course 112 proficiency.
Priority Application Deadlines
Spring Start: November 1
Fall Start: June 1
Because applicants’ files are reviewed as they are completed, we encourage candidates to apply as soon as they are able. We will continue to accept quality candidates until the cohort is full. Once a cohort reaches its maximum, a waitlist will be created.
GET STARTED NOW
. . . . .
We currently do not have any information sessions scheduled for the Portland campus, but please fill out the form above and an Admission Counselor will contact you.
“No one can be an expert at everything, but I can now see how everything ties together and understand the shoes people are wearing throughout the organization, understand their lingo, and have the resources and knowledge to quickly understand and resolve issues.”
Josh Brown, MBA '11
Fluid Market Strategies
“I've been promoted twice since completing my MBA at Concordia. The education I received in the MBA program helped me to greatly improve my analytical and presentation skills, which has given me a significant advantage in my current role as Director of Category Planning. A side benefit of the program has been the great friendships I have gained."
Tami Briggs, MBA '03
Director of Category Planning
“Some of my favorite guest speakers were those from NIKE and Netflix. They gave a unique perspective and helped me look at issues from a different angle.”
Daniel Tiliano, MBA '11
City of Vancouver, WA
“The main difference between my undergrad experience at another university and my grad experience at Concordia was that the professors at Concordia had 20-30 years of experience and they understand how to teach, mentor, and inspire.”
Jeff Hagen, MBA '11
Have a Question? Please Contact:
Refer a Friend, Get a Reward!
We know that many of our MBA students hear about Concordia through their colleagues and friends. As a way to say, "Thank you," individuals who refer a student who enrolls in the program receive a $50 gift card. Contact an admission counselor to learn more!